Best time to workout to Lose Weight
People who exercise want to utilize their time efficiently and get the most out of their exercise sessions. Knowing the best time to work out for weight loss can help you get faster results in less time. This is not just for athletes but for the average person who wants to use exercise to lose pounds or get in better shape.
Time is just one of the factors that affect your workout performance
As you will read below, there are studies that show when is the best time of the day to exercise for better fat burning results and for muscle building but time is just one of the factors that can affect your workout performance. Many other factors like the intensity and duration of the exercise play a very important role and these should not be neglected.
Best time to work out for fat burning is the morning
When you exercise in the morning your body tends to burn more fat. The main reasons why this is happening are:
- Low blood sugar levels force the body to look for other energy sources so it starts converting fat from the reserves to fuel.
- Some hormones that accelerate fad burning (like cortisol) are at high levels in the morning.
Benefits of exercising in the morning
- People who participated in a study about the effects of morning exercise were more likely to stick to a workout after doing their morning exercise. In other words people who can exercise in the morning are more likely to build a routine and follow that for a long time.
- For some people it is easier to exercise in the morning since in the afternoon they get tired and lose their desire to workout.
- It can be a stressful task for the body. This does not apply to everyone but depending on your hormone levels you may find it very stressful to exercise in the morning.
- Intense morning exercise may lead to muscle loss instead of fat loss. If you exercise on an empty stomach and do a very intense workout your body may end up utilizing muscle mass for energy. That’s why it is important to have a good protein breakfast especially if you plan to exercise hard in the morning.
- If you exercise before breakfast, you may not be able to keep the intensity high since your energy levels are low.
Disadvantages of morning exercise
Best time to workout for performance is the afternoon
Exercising in the afternoon can give you better performance than exercising in the morning. Several studies analyzed the performance of a group of people exercising in the morning and in the afternoon. The afternoon sessions produced better results in terms of performance, strength and power. Participants reported that their bodies’ response was better and that they were able to push more and achieve more repetitions than in the morning.